A favorite section of my library is devoted to books of quotations. The volumes include both published collections and my own accumulated favorites, recorded in what I call my "Serendipity Books."
Serendipity is a fitting name since it means the faculty of making fortunate discoveries by accident. And that's just what memorable quotes are, accidental treasures that come to us from others as we mosey along the road of life.
Through the years, friends and family members have gifted me with blank books, thinking a writer would surely want to fill such volumes with her own words. But I never felt qualified to write my halting thoughts on such pristine pages. Instead, I've devoted these empty books to the impressive, humorous and thoughtful words of others.
Quotations worth saving can come from comics or kings, presidents or paupers, teachers or truck drivers. No matter the source, each has a spark of humor or a nugget of wisdom worth pondering.
Today, as we begin a new promise-filled month, I'm sharing a variety of favorites from the writings or utterances of folks from all walks of life. While some were authored by names we know, many are unaccredited.
- Always drive as if your children were in the other car.
- It's been one of those days when I wish Noah and his party had missed the boat.
- If you're pushing 60, that's exercise enough.
- Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.
- Marriage is made in heaven ... so are thunder and lightening.
- Skinny cooks can't be trusted.
- The mirror tells only the facts, not the poetry. - May Sarton
- If I had my whole life to live over again, I don't think I'd have the strength. - Flip Wilson
- Come good times or bad, there is always a market for things nobody needs.
- If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain. - Dolly Parton
- Children are the anchors that hold a mother to life.
- When a beautiful woman smiles, a man's purse weeps. - Italian proverb
- Carpe ductum! Seize the tape!
- The opposite of love is not hate. It's indifference. - Elie Wiesel
- If you see a bandwagon, it's too late. - James Goldsmith
- Whatever you are, be a good one. - Abraham Lincoln
- One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.
- Farmers' philosophy: Pray for rain, but keep on plowing.
- Don't rush me. I'm making mistakes as fast as I can.
- The prime of life is that fleeting time between green and over-ripe.
- The best security blanket a child can have is parents who respect each other.
- Heroes are people who rise to the occasion and slip quietly away. - Tom Brokaw
- Strength is the ability to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands, and then eat just one piece. - Judith Viorst
- Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always. - Brooke Lorimer
- When in charge, ponder. When in trouble, delegate. When in doubt, mumble.