SHERMAN - In 1884, G. Saxton, C.H. Corbett, and W.E. Green were appointed by the citizens of Sherman to solicit subscriptions to purchase a first-class fire engine, hose cart and 650 feet of fire hose from Fredonia.
After the equipment had been purchased, the Sherman Fire Company No. 1 was formed with 33 members. Officers were Corbett, foreman; A.G. Saxton, fire assistant; F.L. Dutton, second assistant; T.J. Newell, secretary; and G.W. Strong, treasurer. A committee headed by B.F. Coffin, was appointed to assist the firemen and to build water reservoirs. The fire department's engine was a double-handled hand pumper and hose cart which was housed in a building on Main Street which had an overhead bell.
To read this entire article, visit www.post-journal.com/page/content.detail/id/612362/Spotlight-On-The-Sherman-Stanley-Hose-Company.html.