Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

A metal sign history mystery

Buzzings from BeeLines

October 10, 2012
By Marybelle Beigh - Westfield Historian (westfieldhistorian@fairpoint.net) , Westfield Republican / Mayville Sentinel News

At 25 E. Main St., Westfield, is Rose Morse's Parkview Antiques store in one of the older extant buildings in the business district block between N. Portage and Market Streets.

Built in 1843-1845 by William R. Morse, it was designated as the Union Block in a drawing for the 1867 Chautauqua County Atlas. At that time the IO-OF had its club rooms and hall on the second and third floors where 100 years later were housed the Masonic rooms. Refer to the image with this article.

Before 1909, the Main Street addresses on this north side of the street were numbered consecutively starting with No. 1 Main at the corner of North Portage where the 1872 Spencer Block housed the Corner Drug Store, now - 1970 to 2012 - Executive II Barber Shop.

Article Photos

Submitted photo
Built in 1843-1845 by William R. Morse, it was designated as the Union Block in a drawing for the 1867 Chautauqua County Atlas. At that time the IO-OF had its club rooms and hall on the second and third floors where 100 years later were housed the Masonic rooms.

In the Union Block in 1867, where the Sport's Card store is now in 2012 located at 23 E. Main, was W. R. Morse & Co. at 14 Main St., and at 15 Main St., now 25 E. Main, was D. Rockwell & Co.

According to Rose Morse, proprietor of Parkview Antiques, when the Union Block building was first built, there was a rather large metal sign mounted on the building that identified William R Morse as the builder and listed the dates of construction as 1843-1845. It is not known when the sign was removed from the building, but Rose Morse saw this sign several years ago when it was stored in the Masonic Rooms above her store. When the new owner of the building and Morse went through the entire building from basement through the third floor, they were unable to locate the sign. Inquiries of various local historians have found no sign, nor has anyone been contacted who can recall what may have become of the sign when the Masonic Lodge vacated the building.

Considering that the sign is/was one of the oldest remaining of such items, if any reader knows of the location of the sign, and/or could even provide it to be preserved by the Village of Westfield Historian, Patterson Library or Chautauqua County Historical Society Museum at the McClurg Mansion, they should contact the Westfield Historian with this information.

Fact Box

The office of the Westfield Historian is located at 117 Union Street, in the small green building on the north side of driveway. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 to 11 a.m., or by appointment. The Westfield Historian phone number is 326-2457, and the email mail address is westfieldhistorian@fairpoint.net.

Rose Morse, Marybelle Beigh, John Paul Wolfe, Eli Guinee and many other local history buffs will be delighted and grateful for the resolution of yet another local history mystery.

By Marybelle Beigh

Westfield Historian

At 25 E. Main St., Westfield, is Rose Morse's Parkview Antiques store in one of the older extant buildings in the business district block between N. Portage and Market Streets.

Built in 1843-1845 by William R. Morse, it was designated as the Union Block in a drawing for the 1867 Chautauqua County Atlas. At that time the IO-OF had its club rooms and hall on the second and third floors where 100 years later were housed the Masonic rooms. Refer to the image with this article.

Before 1909, the Main Street addresses on this north side of the street were numbered consecutively starting with No. 1 Main at the corner of North Portage where the 1872 Spencer Block housed the Corner Drug Store, now - 1970 to 2012 - Executive II Barber Shop.

In the Union Block in 1867, where the Sport's Card store is now in 2012 located at 23 E. Main, was W. R. Morse & Co. at 14 Main St., and at 15 Main St., now 25 E. Main, was D. Rockwell & Co.

According to Rose Morse, proprietor of Parkview Antiques, when the Union Block building was first built, there was a rather large metal sign mounted on the building that identified William R Morse as the builder and listed the dates of construction as 1843-1845. It is not known when the sign was removed from the building, but Rose Morse saw this sign several years ago when it was stored in the Masonic Rooms above her store. When the new owner of the building and Morse went through the entire building from basement through the third floor, they were unable to locate the sign. Inquiries of various local historians have found no sign, nor has anyone been contacted who can recall what may have become of the sign when the Masonic Lodge vacated the building.

Considering that the sign is/was one of the oldest remaining of such items, if any reader knows of the location of the sign, and/or could even provide it to be preserved by the Village of Westfield Historian, Patterson Library or Chautauqua County Historical Society Museum at the McClurg Mansion, they should contact the Westfield Historian with this information.

Rose Morse, Marybelle Beigh, John Paul Wolfe, Eli Guinee and many other local history buffs will be delighted and grateful for the resolution of yet another local history mystery.

 
 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web