SHERMAN - Recently the Chautauqua County Municipal Clerks Association held a meeting at the Yorker Museum in Sherman, N.Y.
The Sherman Historical Society hosted a delicious outdoor lunch, and. after the clerks held a short business meeting, members of the historical society gave tours of all seven museum buildings, which include the Peter Ripley house, chapel, buggy shed, log dwelling, meeting house, Nettle Hill school and Ray Larson general store.
The Yorker Museum was originally started in 1946 by five school-aged girls and their history teacher, Genevieve Mattison. These "French Creek Yorkers" were a part of the New York State Historical Association. Artifacts were collected from family and friends and the museum began. At one time, 276 Sherman Central School students were members of the Yorkers. Buildings were moved from their original location around town to the current location at the Village Common, with some buildings dating back to the 1750's.
The Chautauqua County Municipal Clerks, pictured in front of the Peter Ripley house at the Sherman Yorker Museum, recently held a meeting at the museum followed by a tour of the buildings.
The Yorker Museum is located on the corner of Church and Park Streets in Sherman and is open from Memorial Day to Labor Day from 1 to 4 p.m., or call Sherman Historical Society President Mary Reyda 761-6503, Vice President Roberta Tenpas 761-6659, or Secretary/Treasurer Sally Patterson 761-7767 for an appointment.