Three other sources have provided more documented historical information about the property and owners of the Bark Grill, even prior to its existence - old maps, old directories, and title searches of deeds.
A search of old Westfield, Chautauqua County, and Sanborn maps of Westfield, from 1833 to 1951, locates the "triangle" of land between East and West Pearl Streets, some showing property owner names and some also showing buildings such as dwellings and businesses.
A variety of maps show the evolution of what is now the Bark Grill restaurant. A deed map showing the property designated as 'A.'
Quagliana also loaned a title search of the Bark Grill property starting with the Holland Land Company in 1821, and continuing through 2007, when she purchased the Bark Grill from Blanchard.
A copy of "A Complete Directory of the Village of Westfield, New York, January, 1915," donated to the Patterson Library by Don Briggs several years ago, provides names, addresses, and occupations of nearly everyone living in the village at that time.
From the title search information, dates and names of owners of The Bark Grill have been verified. Some of the dated old maps also confirm a number of these names during the correct years. For examples, according to the title search, in June 1821, Benjamin Evans purchased the property in question (and more) from the Holland Land Company, but deeded it to James McClurg just six months later, December 1821. Exactly 30 years after this, December 1851, James McClurg deeded the property (and more) to Watson S Hinckley.
Marybelle Beigh is the Public Historian for the Town and Village of Westfield. Her office is located at 3 East Main Street in Westfield, N.Y, 14787 - inside Parkview Ice Cream Parlor. Her scheduled office hours are Monday through Friday 9 to 11 a.m.; other hours by appointment.
Beigh can be reached at email@example.com or by calling 326-2457 (office), 326-6171 (home) or 397-9254 (cell).
A copy of a "Map of Part of Lot 17, in the Village of Westfield, Made for James McClurgh, by Hiram C. Haight, Dated 1833" confirms McClurg's interest. According to a printed note from1943 when the map was copied and presented to the Patterson Library, the original final "3" was partially obliterated, so (1833) was added after the original map title's date.
Another old copied and donated map of the area from the early NY Central RR tracks and English Street to Jefferson Street, and from North Portage Street to Cass Lane, is titled, "HINCKLEY & McCLURG'S SUBDIVISION OF LOTS IN WESTFIELD NOV 1, 1856," which confirms the McClurg's and Hinckley's connection to the parcel of land now containing the Bark Grill. The Sanborn Map of 1912 shows a grocery store in the building at 14 East Pearl Street, but the 1912 building is only a portion of the structure that now exists as the Bark Grill.
That parcel of land on which the Bark Grill is located is a part of the Holland Land Company map of Lot 17 Township 4 Range 14 in what we now know as Westfield, Chautauqua County, New York State. Until about 1914, the parcel of land exchanged was larger than the current parcel Using the title search provided, which starts June 18, 1821, a table was made showing the Date, Name of Grantor, Name of Grantee, and type of Deed (Warranty, Executor, Quit Claim).
The title search of deeds concerning the property of the Bark Grill tells that it passed from Watson Hinckley to John Kemp in 1868, who at his death in 1873 willed the house, contents, and lot to his widow, Martha Kemp. Martha died intestate, so the firm of Kingsbury and Barden were named executors, and deeded the property to Sarah A Dilley in 1895. Dilley sold the property to Peter Calato in 1906. Calato deeded it to Peter Ameno and M & J Crastogiavani in 1909, both of whom signed Quit Claim Deeds to Joseph Ameno in 1912.
In 1914, a division of the property was made, Joseph Ameno selling the lots to Peter Calato, and Peter Calato reselling the smaller portion of the lot (West Pearl side) that had originally extended from East Pearl to West Pearl Streets, and keeping the larger portion of the lot including the house that eventually became the Bark Grill at 14 East Pearl. Calato executed a deed with slightly modified boundaries, in 1919, to Francis Dotterweich (who owned the Dunkirk NY based Dotterweich Brewing Company). The lot was re-surveyed in 1924 to modify the boundaries again, so that a new deed was signed between Calato and Dotterweich.
In April 1925, Francis Dotterweich sold the property to Anthony and Mamie DiPasquale. So the DiPasquale family began ownership at that time. At some point prior to 1933, Anthony DiPasquale died, and in 1933 his widow, Mamie DiPasquale, married Enrico "Henry" Cozza. This provides documentation of names to support the 1935 ad that Billie Dibble quoted in Dibble's Dabbles. In 1940, Mamie DiPasquale Cozza provided a Warranty Deed to her son Antony DiPasquale and his wife Sarah, but in 1954, Sarah DiPasquale executes a Quit Claim Deed to Antony DiPasquale.
The title search seemed to suggest that Sarah and Carrie are one and the same person, but as explained previously, they were two successive wives of Tony DiPasquale. In January 1973, the estate of Antony DiPasquale, who died 12-22-1972, reverted to his widow, Carrie, as well as two adult, married, daughters. When Carrie DiPasquale sold the Bark Grill to Nathanial Arnot, this was accomplished by the two daughters providing Quit Claim Deeds and Carrie providing an Administrator Deed from the estate. All subsequent ownership transfers described earlier in this story were verified or confirmed by the deed entries in the title search.
In an interview with Evelyn Quagliana regarding the former tenants of the property, she explained that the Barber Shop was located in a small house next to the main Bark Grill structure. Quagliana said that she had this aging house torn down, and that the basement still contained the plumbing for the sinks used in the barber shop when it was in operation.