Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Subscribe | Submit News | Home RSS
 
 
 

US backtracks on terror claim against Tunisian man

April 30, 2014
Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — The government says it is offering a plea deal that may result in freedom for a Tunisian man who last year was accused of plotting to build a U.S.-based terrorism cell and radicalizing a Canadian man charged in a train derailment plot.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Michael Ferrara announced the offer in federal court in Manhattan Tuesday at a pre-trial hearing for Ahmed Abassi. The plea would be to charges of making false statements and a misdemeanor: possessing an identification document with intent to defraud the United States. Abassi has pleaded not guilty.

He said federal sentencing guidelines would call for a sentence of up to six months if the government declines to ask for a terrorism enhancement at sentencing. If it did, the maximum would be six years in prison.

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web